Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Balanced Controversy


Day 3

  • Picture of the cast of your favorite show

I love the concept of Morgan Spurlock's '30 Days'-- You may recognize him from Super-Size me, where he directed a documentary style film about living on a complete Mickey D's diet; this show is very much like that in a social experiment sense. It's like Mythbusters meets What Would You Do? People, including Spurlock himself, go off on a 30 day adventure living in the life of a religion, a belief system, or a habitual way of life completely different from their own. Spurlock visits an Indian reservation, a white Christian man from Georgia lives with a muslim family, and many more controversial pairings. At first, this concept made me nervous-- There is so much potential to make this show a learning experience for the participants and viewers, as long as it didn't end up like a shouting match on the Maury show. I was hoping for something that would break me out of my comfort zone and really challenge me with some thought provoking questions to wrestle with, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results of each episode. People went home with new perspective, and I learned a great deal through their process of how to understand and love others despite their choices. And I prayed through so much of the topics they brought to life, lifting to the Lord what I thought my heart could be tweaked on.
There are three seasons of this out on Netflix-- I believe they are all on-demand (hint hint). : )

No comments:

Post a Comment