Friday, August 12, 2011

Devotional/ Devotion

"Out of necessity I became a 'translator', daily standing on the border between two worlds, getting the language of the Bible that God uses to create and save us, heal us and bless us, judge and rule over us, into the language of the Today (struggle between in but not of- John 15) that we use gossip and tell stories, give directions and do business, sing songs and talk to our children." Eugene H. Peterson, about the beginnings of writing his devotional The Message: Solo.

As I'm writing a father/daughter devotional for Antioch families, this struck me as a fresh conviction. Thanks Father, as you stuck this directly in my own devotional life to affect the work you're allowing happen through me. Pretty cool line-up you had in store there....

This quote, along with some daily devos I've been chewing on myself for the past few weeks, are provoking my heart and mind to ask questions of reason, for this project and my spiritual habits:

- Definition of 'Devotional' to the language world of Today:

Selections from Webster.... hehe
adj.
Of, relating to, expressive of, or used in devotion, especially of a religious nature.
n. A piece of music or writing about or pertaining to devotion; Of or pertaining to devotion or worship. A short religious service.

-Definition in the language world of the Bible:

“Remember, LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.” --Of Hezekiah
2 Kings 20:2-4

“And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you..."
1 Chronicles 28:8-10

Just a couple of excerpts, from the records of men who reaped a bold harvest from faithfulness- linked to devotion... But straightforward in reminding one of the purpose of devotion, devotionals (outlets to practice and express our devotion in a language of Bible) and the attitude in which we pursue the outcome of relationship with Christ. Devotion is a crucial element, including the act of a faith-driven life, and the heart behind one who chases it relentlessly.

As Oswald C. labeled his devotional work and I can identify with more now than ever before- I surrender this writing process and outcome to be my utmost for His highest. Your will be done, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment